This cake is so easy to make, bake, and eat! It’s flaky with a slightly crunchy crust. You’ll love the cherry vanilla flavor too.
- 75 mins
- 10 servings
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1 pound cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar for sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease with butter or vegetable spray, a 10-inch cast-iron skillet
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl.
- With paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, buttermilk, and Rodelle Vanilla Extract until just combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture until just smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet.
- Arrange the cherries on top in a single layer. Crowding the cherries, however, is encouraged.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the cherries.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325°F and bake for 50 to 60 more minutes.
- Let the skillet cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with homemade vanilla ice cream, or homemade vanilla whipped cream!