2012 Scrumptious Spring Sweepstakes Runner Up Recipe. Created by Dr. Crystal Schmidt.
- | Medium
- | 6 servings
DirectionsVanilla Bean Salted Caramel Sauce
- In a small to medium saucepan combine the sugar, corn syrup, seeds scraped from inside vanilla bean, and water.
- Add the ingredients carefully and try not to get any sugar on the side of the pan.
- Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil without stirring. Continue cooking just until the syrup turns amber in color.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble up; carefully stir until it is uniform.
- Add in the butter and stir until melted and well combined.
- Transfer the caramel to a dish and then stir in the salt. Let it cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium sized microwave safe bowl melt the butter and then whisk in the white and brown sugars. When well-combined whisk in the baking cocoa.
- Add in the beaten eggs and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture; stir well until combined. Fold in the flour and water and mix vigorously until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9x9 square cake pan.
- In one bowl, combine the eggs, vegetable oil and grated carrots; mix thoroughly.
- In a second bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir vigorously until well combined.
- Drop dollops of the carrot cake batter into the brownie batter in the pan and use a butter knife to cut into the batter and swirl them together.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until well combined and lighter in texture, about five minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time, beating the mixture well between each addition.
- Last, add in the vanilla bean salted caramel sauce and mix on low until it is combined.
- When the carrot-cake swirled brownies are completely cool, remove them from the pan; frost with the vanilla bean salted caramel buttercream, either using a piping bag or with an offset spatula. Garnish with grated carrot, chocolate curls, and any leftover caramel sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Vanilla Bean Salted Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs light corn syrup
- 1 Rodelle Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean
- 2 Tbs water
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1½ Tbs unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp fleur de sel (crushed finely)
Fudge Brownie Batter
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
Carrot Cake Batter
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Vanilla Bean Salted Caramel Buttercream
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup vanilla bean salted caramel sauce