Create memories with this one of a kind vanilla-orange cake recipe. Your family will love that this simple recipe can be baked on the grill or even over a campfire! And the taste…. it’s perfection!
- 50 mins
- 12 servings
Campfire Vanilla-Orange Cake Recipe
- 12 navel oranges
- 1 batch Rodelle Vanilla Cupcake mix (recipe below)
- 1 bar Chocolove Organic Dark Chocolate 73% Cocoa Content
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat grill on high heat. If using a charcoal grill, get the coals hot and glowing. Cover to retain the heat.
- Cut 1 inch off the top of each orange.
- Hollow out the oranges and scrape the pulp off the tops as well.
- Prepare the vanilla cupcake mix (see St. Pat's Vanilla Cupcake Recipe below).
- Fill the oranges about ½ full of vanilla mix.
- Top with a square of the chocolate.
- Put the top back on and wrap the orange in aluminum foil, (tear off a square of foil, place the orange in the center and fold up the ends, pinching together to create a “crown”).
- Place the foil wrapped oranges on the grill grate, close the lid, turn the heat down to medium-low (if you have a temperature indicator, it should be 350 - 370 degrees Fahrenheit). You can place the wrapped oranges on the charcoal grill grate, or place directly on the coals. If using this method, check often to see if it is done.
- Grill for 20 minutes, check one of the vanilla cakes to see if it's still doughy, and if not firm and spongy, cook for 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, unwrap the vanilla cake oranges half way and serve.
How to Cook St. Pat's Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Line cupcake tin with festive cupcake papers.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter at medium speed until smooth.
- Slowly add the sugar and continue to mix at medium speed until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, continue to mix at medium speed until well combined
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk, mix thoroughly
- Fill cupcake papers 3/4 full
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden browned