These Butterscotch and Chocolate Cookie Bars are a unique addition to any cookie jar, cookie plate or potluck contribution! There’s a traditional vanilla cookie base, a layer of yummy butterscotch and chocolate chips, and a brown sugar meringue topping that will have everyone going back for seconds! The three layers are a tango of flavors and textures that work beautifully together. For instance, the lightness of the meringue topping balanced out the richer cookie base and butterscotch chips. Similar to a seven layer bar, without the coconut, these are a new favorite at Rodelle!
- 60 mins
- 25 servings
For the Cookie Base and Middle Layer:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten with 1 tablespoon water, reserve the whites for the topping
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
For the Topping:
- 3 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the sugars and butter until fluffy. Add the egg yolk mixture and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients 3 times and add to the creamed mixture. Mix on medium speed until dough is stiff.
- Spread on a greased 10x14-inch baking sheet.
- Combine the chips in a small bowl. Sprinkle them evenly over the top of the dough.
- For the topping, make sure the mixing bowl is clean and free of any greasy residue or water.
- With the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Add the brown sugar and vanilla. Beat well. Mixture should be fluffy and form soft peaks.
- Spread the mixture over the chips and add any decorative swirl or design that you like.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool. Cut into squares.
- Best served within 3 days of making.