A delicate, delicious mix of butternut squash, vanilla and Gruyere cheese. The perfect side to impress and delight!
- | 90 mins
- | 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, prepare casserole, pie pan, or baking dish by buttering sides and bottom
- Mix the cream with nutmeg, crushed garlic, thyme sprigs and bay leaves in a small saucepan. Bring the mix to a boil.
- Turn heat off beneath the cream mixture. Let it sit and infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel, de-seed and slice the butternut squash and layer it in prepared dish, sprinkling a pinch or two of salt over each layer.
- Pour the herb and garlic infused cream over the squash, leaving the bay leaves and thyme sprigs on top.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with grated Gruyere cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes longer, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and golden and the cream is bubbling around the edges.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and sliced to about 1/4" slices
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated