Do you need a dessert for yourself? Look no further than this individual birthday cake in a mug. Birthday cake is the epitome of vanilla cake, which is studded with rainbow sprinkles to make it extra fun. The recipe was designed for quick prep and can be mixed directly into the coffee cup if desired. Of course, using a separate mixing bowl will result in the prettiest mug cake. The glaze is optional if you are in a pinch but encouraged.
- 2 mins
- 1 servings
For the birthday cake
- 2 tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tbsp rainbow sprinkles, plus a pinch for the top
For the glaze
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tbsp whole milk
- Place the softened butter into a small bowl. Add the granulated sugar and mix with a small rubber spatula until smooth.
- Add in the egg yolk. Mix until fully incorporated with the spatula.
- Add in the vanilla extract and whole milk. Mix until just combined.
- Add in the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Add in the sprinkles. Mix until just combined. Scoop batter into an 8 oz microwave-safe coffee mug and top with a pinch of extra sprinkles.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 5 seconds. Allow cake to cool while preparing the glaze.
- Prepare the glaze by combining the powdered sugar and whole milk. Mix until smooth. Pour over the warm birthday cake. Top with more sprinkles.
- Home microwaves vary in how they cook. You may need to adjust the time up or down. If in doubt, the cake must cook for at least one minute. Add additional time in 5-second increments until the cake is puffed and cooked through.