A delicious chocolate ice cream recipe featuring the rich flavor of Rodelle Gourmet Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder!
- 30 mins
- 12 servings
- 1 1/2 ounces Rodelle Cocoa Powder, approximately 1/2 cup
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 9 ounces sugar
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- Place the cocoa powder along with 1 cup of the half-and-half into a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine.
- Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added.
- Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F.
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions.
- This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes.
- Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.
Note: this recipe was based off a creation on Food Network. Click here to see the original recipe. Looking for a dairy free chocolate ice cream? Check out our recipe here!