A fresh and elegant cake that makes any occasion special. This recipe has a light sponge cake layered with fresh berries and a fluffy vanilla bean mascarpone frosting.
- 90 mins
- 4 servings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 tsp dried orange peel
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp Rodelle Almond Extract
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 whole strawberries
- 20 blueberries (ten on each cake)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 2 4inch mini springform pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, three times. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Mix in the Rodelle Vanilla Extract.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepped springform pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes OR until top springs back when lightly tapped.
- Cool 15 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut any excess that has risen above the sides of the pan. The cut cake should have a flat top. Then remove from springform pan.
- While cake is cooking, prepare the berry mixture by combining all ingredients in a bowl.
- Make while cake is cooling. In the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, whisk the cream, Rodelle Almond Extract, and scraped Rodelle Vanilla Bean seeds until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, whisk together the mascarpone and powdered sugar until very smooth. Gently fold whipped cream mixture into the mascarpone until completely incorporated.
- Divide frosting into two equal portions.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the apricot jam and water for 30 seconds. Stir to smooth.
- Carefully slice the cakes in half horizontally to make two layers.
- Spoon on a generous scoop of frosting on the top of the “bottom layer.” Smooth evenly. Spoon half of berry mixture on top of frosting. Repeat this step with other cake.
- On the bottom of the “top layer,” spread a small layer of frosting.
- Put “top layer” on top of “bottom layer.”
- Frost the rest of the cake.
- Garnish the top of cake with a strawberry and five blueberries.
- Using a pastry brush, brush glaze over the berries.