Nothing says “gourmet” like a new twist on an old favorite. Chocolaty biscuits, raspberries, whipped cream, need we say more?
- | Easy
- | 60 mins
- | 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a small bowl combine milk, Rodelle Vanilla Extract, and egg. Whisk to blend.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, Rodelle Baking Cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ½ cup of sugar. Stir to combine. Add in the butter and toss to coat the butter in the dry ingredients.
- Working quickly with a pastry blender or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the butter is pea sized.
- Mix in the chopped chocolate and toss to combine.
- Pour the milk mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently until a sticky dough forms. Knead gently until most of the ingredients are incorporated. Do not overwork the dough.
- Scoop the dough in about 1/3-cup mounds about 2-inches apart, onto the baking sheet(s). Gently pat down the mounds to about 1-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle the tops with the sugar.
- Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the shortcakes are puffed and give slightly when lightly pressed. About 15-18 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- To make the raspberries, combine the berries, sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Toss well to coat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the shortcakes in half horizontally and spoon some of the berry mix over the bottom half. Top with whipped cream and replace the top half of the shortcake. Serve immediately.
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Rodelle Baking Cocoa
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 12 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Whipping Cream (or make our Rodelle Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream Recipe)
- 2 one-pound packages frozen raspberries, thawed, or; 1 ½ pounds fresh raspberries, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice